Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Ikan Bilis Buns
Ingredients for the buns:
400 gm. Bread flour
100 gm. cake flour
90 gm. castor sugar
10 gm. Milk powder
1 tsp. Bread improver
5 gm. salt
11 gm. Instant Yeast
220 gm. cold water
70 gm. margarine / butter
(1) Beat all the ingredients together in a mixer except margarine for about 10 mins.
(2) Add in butter and continue beating for another 5 mins.
(3) Roll into a round ball and let it proof for 45 mins. covered.
(4) Weigh and scale the dough into 60 gm. dough and let it rest for another 10 mins.
(5) Roll into a round circle and wrap with ikan bilis filling and seal tightly. Arrange buns onto tray and let it proof for another 45 mins.
Note: You can also make into triangle shape buns which I have done, wrapped with pandan leaves.
(6) Brush with egg glaze and bake at 190C for about 10 mins. or till cooked. If you don't like to egg glaze, brush with a little salted butter for a glossy look.
Ikan Bilis fillings:
100 gm. ikan bilis - wash and fried
5 dried chillies
3 red chillies
2 pips garlic
1 stalk lemongrass
1 tsp. belachan powder
1 Big onion - sliced
1 tsp. tamarind - mixed with 3 Tbsp. water and squeeze out juice
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
1 tsp. msg
(1) Heat oil and fry ikan bilis until golden brown and crispy. Remove from wok and keep aside.
(2) Heat oil in wok, fry pounded sambal ingredients until fragrant, add in onion and mix well.
(3) Add in tamarind juice and seasoning and fry until fragrant and thick.
(4) Pour in the fried ikan bilis and mix thoroughly.
(5) Dish up and let it cool before wrapping into the bun dough.