Monday, July 28, 2008
Yam Buns with Kernel Corn Fillings
400 gm. Bread flour
150 gm. Yam - Steamed and mashed into a paste
80 gm. sugar
10 gm. Instant Yeast
100 ml. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Yam essence
a few drops of purple colouring (optional)
60 gm. Margarine
Corn Kernel Fillings:
150 gm. fresh milk
3 Tbsp. Cornflour
30 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
100 gm. kernel corn
1 Tbsp. butter
50 gm. chopped white chocolate
(1) For bread dough, beat all the ingredients together in a mixer except salt and butter. After 5 mins. of kneading, add in salt and continue to beat for another 5 mins. before adding in the margarine. Continue to beat for another 5 mins. or more till a smooth dough is formed. You can do a window test at this stage or until there's a slapping sound while beating the bread dough in the machine.
(2) Lift up dough from mixer and roll into a round dough. Leave it aside to rest for 45 mins.
(3) After 45 mins. roll into 60 gm. balls and leave it to rest again for 10 mins. before wrapping in fillings.
(4) For Fillings: Put all the fillings (put in chopped chocolate and butter last when it's almost done) together in a saucepan and cook over low heat till fillings become thick. Chill it in the fridge so that it will be easier to wrap it.
(5) Roll out the small balls of bread dough and wrap in the fillings. Leave it on a tray to proof for another 45 mins.
(6) Brush top with beaten egg and bake at 190C for about 10 to 12 mins.