Monday, January 14, 2008
Banana Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Sponge Cake:
35 gm. Cocoa powder
70 gm. hot water
1 Tbsp. Chocolate emulco or Paste
1 tsp. vanilla essence
125 gm. Cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
75 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
45 gm. cornoil
80 gm. egg yolks
30 gm. fresh milk
150 gm. egg white
120 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
300 gm. dairy whipping cream
250 gm. melted chocolate
50 gm. butter
Some Bananas - slice lengthwise
250 gm. non-dairy whipping cream
35 gm. cocoa powder + 35 gm. hot water
Method for the sponge:
(1) Mix cocoa powder, vanilla essence, hot water and chocolate paste together.
(2) Mix all the ingredients (B) together in a mixing bowl then add in (C) and mix to form a smooth batter. Add in the cocoa powder mixture and mix well.
(3) Whisk ingredients (D) until stiff peak and gradually fold into the cocoa powder batter.
(4) Pour into a 9" round cake tin and bake at 177C for about 40 to 45 mins. or till cooked. Leave cake to cool completely and then slice into 3 layers.
(5) Mix all the ingredients for Ganache and then microwave it for 20 secs. , stir till evenly combined and smooth. Microwave again if the chocolate has not melted. Leave to set before onto cake.
(6) Mix the whipped fresh cream with the cocoa powder mixture, spread onto one layer of cake. Top up with sliced banana and continue process till finished.
Cream the whole cake with the balance fresh cream.
(7) Pour Ganache on top and leave the whole cake in the chiller to set before slicing.
(8) Slice and enjoy!!!!