Monday, June 25, 2007
Banana Chocolate Pie
Ingredients for Pie Crust:
160 gm. Plain flour
15 gm. cocoa powder
30 gm. ground almonds
135 gm. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 beaten egg - about 30 gm.
80 gm. Butter
80 gm. sugar
2 egg yolks
100 gm. ground almonds
1 Tbsp. cake flour
2 egg white
30 ml. banana liquer or rum
280 gm. Bananas - sliced
30 gm. chocolate chips
(1) To make pie crust, rub butter into sifted flour, cocoa powder and ground almonds till crumbly.
(2) Add in beaten egg and knead lightly until it forms into a pliable dough. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
(3) Roll out rested dough and press into a 20 cm. or 8" round (height about 2 inches) fluted pie dish. Trim off edges and leave to rest in the fridge.
(4) Meanwhile, prepare the fillings. Creambutter and sugar until creamy.
(5) Add in egg yolks one at a time, making sure it's evenly combined before the next addition. Mix well.
(6) Add in flour and ground almonds.
(7) Beat egg white until fluffy, fold into egg yolk mixture. Add in rum.
(8) Mix in the sliced banana and stir lightly then pour into prepared pie crust.
(9) Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
(10) Bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 40 mins. or until cooked.
(11) Leave to cool on cooling rack until completely cooled. Chill in the fridge and then slice and serve.