Saturday, April 07, 2007
Caramel Peach Cake
250 gm. unsalted butter
60 gm. lightly packed soft brown sugar
825 gm. can peach halves in syrup
200 gm. castor sugar
3 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
3 eggs - lightly beaten
310 gm. Self-raising flour
150 gm. plain yoghurt
100 gm. evaporated milk
(1) Lightly grease a 9" round cake tin and line the bse with baking paper. Melt 50 butter and pour on the base of the tin. Evenly sprinkle brown sugar on top. Drain the peaches and arrange the peach halves , cut-side up over the sugar mixture.
(2) Cream the remaining 200 gm. butter with sugar until pale and creamy.
(3) Add in egg one at a time, beating well after each addition. The mixture may look curdled but it will come together once the flour is added.
(4) Fold in the flour alternately with the yoghurt and milk then pour mixture over the peaches in the tin and smoothen the surface.
(5) Bake for 1 hour 25 mins. at 175C or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
(6) Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins. before turning out onto a cake rack.
(7) Cool completely before slicing.