Friday, September 22, 2006
Cherry & coconut snow skin mooncake
Ingredients for snow skin:
120 gm. Kao fen - fried glutinous rice flour
130 gm. icing sugar
75 gm. water
50 gm. boxed coconut milk
50 gm. shortening
Ingredients for filling:
200 gm. dessicated coconut
40 gm. butter - softened
30 gm. castor sugar
30 gm. icing sugar
100 ml. cold water
50 gm. kao fen - fried glutinous rice flour
50 gm. cherries - diced into small pieces
(1) For snow skin: Mix fried glutinous rice flour, icing sugar and shortening together.
(2) Pour in coconut milk and water and mix till a dough is formed. Do not overknead the dough. Leave aside for 15 mins.
(3) Mix all the ingredients together and then weigh and scale into small balls.
(4) Wrap fillings with snow skin and press into moulds and then knock it out.
(5) For storage, always keep the snow skin moon cake in the refrigerator, covered tightly.
Note: Weight of skin and fillings is according to the mould that you are using. For small mould like mine, I used 25 gm. fillings with about 25 gm. skin.
For dusting moulds and hands, please use some steamed Hong Kong flour.