Saturday, March 05, 2011
Steamed Rainbow Cake
250 gm. superfine sugar
2 tsp. vanilla essence or 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean
280 gm. cake flour - sifted
1/4 tsp. salt
200 ml. coconut milk
3 drops of green colouring
3 drops of red colouring
3 drops of yellow colouring
(1) Prepare steamer and a 8" round tin.
(2) Whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla until mixture is thick and pale in colour.
(3) Using spatula, fold in flour, salt and coconut milk in small amounts till well mixed.
(4) Divide mixture into 3 equal parts. Stir in red colouring into one part, green into one part and yellow colouring into the 3rd part.
(4) Pour 1 ladle of green colouring mixture into tin and steam for 5 - 10 mins. Repeat with red mixture, followed by yellow mixture till mixture is used up.
(5) Steam cake for another 15 - 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove cake to a wire rack and leave to cool before unmoulding it. Serve.