Sunday, August 17, 2008

Roti Prata











Basic Roti Canai Dough:

500 gm. plain flour - sifted
1/2 Tbsp. salt or to taste
50 gm. sugar
30 gm. ghee, butter or margarine
1/2 large egg
125 ml. milk
125 to 150 ml. water
oil for greasing

Method:

(1) Place all ingredients except water and oil into an electric mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with a dough hook and then gradually add in water and mix till it forms into a ball. Knead on low speed till dough is smooth and elastic. Rest for 10 mins.
(2) Weigh and scale dough into 100 gm. ball (recipe makes about 9 pieces).
(3) Rub with some margarine or oil generously over the surface of each ball and place into a well-greased container. Leave overnight in the refrigerator.
(4) Remove prepared dough from fridge at least 1 hour before using.
(5) Grease table top with some oil and place a ball of dough on the worktop.
(6) Flatten it with your palms. Stretch dough, working around the cicle until it is very thin , about 30 cm in diameter or larger, depending on your skill here.
(7) Sprinkle a little oil onto the dough sheet and fold into thirds by bringing one third to the middle then folding the remaining third over it. Lift one end like a rope and coil into a round bun. Rest dough for 10 mins.
(8) Heat up a flat griddle or non-stick pan.
(9) Press the rested dough flat into a 20 cm diameter round pancake and place it onto the hot griddle or pan. Drizzle with some oil if necessary.
(10) Cook over low heat until both sides are brown.

Note: You can crush the roti canai by clapping it with both hands while hot - this will loosen up the layers and make the bread fluffy. Seve with dhall or any curry of your choice.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Aunty Yochana!!

AHHH!!! Roti Prata, It looks so light and fluffy. How did it taste? I always buy frozen Roti Prata and was searching for a good roti prata recipe! Aunty, could you please share this recipe? I want to make my own Roti Prata :) Thanks.

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi Irene,

This is roti prata is crispy. I like it but I don't know how to throw onto the table so I cheated!!! I used rolling pin to roll it till very thin and transparent and it's amazing when you pan fry it - it looks like the real thing.

rgds

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunty,
haha.. I dont think anyone would have found out that you cheated! It looks like the REAL Prata! So would you be posting this recipe? I cant wait to try it!! Thanks Aunty :)!!

Anonymous said...

my goodness! It just amazes me when I see your creations. Somehow, as I was looking thru the pics, an image of you in a checked sarong and turban comes into my mind and it tickles me! Keep up the good work aunty lucy!

Anonymous said...

hi aunt yo!!!

roti prata?!?!? ... u actually did the flying saucer action and twist and twist ur waist like hulla-hoop? ... cool...

can share recipe? probably this is one thing that will make me slimmer and slimmer if do more times... due to the 'action involved' ... muahahahah... finally something output in this 'terrible hobby of 'inputs''...

laterz,
jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunty,
Did you soak your roti prata with oil overnight? I made this once but it did not look as good as yours :( If I want to make egg roti prata, how do i go about doing it?
After dinner every night, I cant stop looking at your blog for new entries! Thanks for keeping the new entries coming!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunty,

Your blog's new look is real cool and your roti prata sure look delicious too.

Rgds,
Alice

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi Fiona,

I will post it soon.

Just roll out the dough until very thing, knock an egg on top then use your hands to break it up and then fold the dough over into a square shape.

I just rub each dough with oil...and kept overnight.

rgds

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi Jacqueline,

Hahaha..so sorry to disappoint you. My roti prata might make you fat rather than slim down cos I cheated lah..I just my small rolling pin to roll it till thin and transparent.

rgds

PG CakeCraft said...

Amazing Yochana! I'm in awe with your roti canai. Your blog is always a pleasure to view. Always suprising us with your multi-talents. Is there anything that you can't bake or cook? Nope. I don't think so.

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi SweetBites,

I had that same question 2 years ago when i first started my blog...sorry no answer to that cos I still feel that there are lots and lots more to learn.

Hahaha.

rgds

Anonymous said...

dear aunty yochana

hee u even tried roti prata!
i tried making once.. is so fun! i try to flip n turn haha! it works but some of it tears.. haha need tons of practice!

rgds,
wombat

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi wombat,

How are you? How's your knee? I hope you up and about jumping all over the place.

The Roti Canai - I cannot flip liao....hands too stiff lah. I ever tried but tear into a big big hole and then become a ring instead....hahaha

rgds

Anonymous said...

HI Aunty,

Thank you so much! This is my son favourite. He loves roti prata... I will try this for him! I prob can flip or turn cos I am "rounded" mama!

Hammy

wombat said...

Dear aunty,
hee my knees are so much better :D coz now i bought a new support it contains titanium which helps alot too. I cant jump or hop but now i can climb and take bus :D

thanks for yr concern hee

God bless ya!
wombat

Leong said...

Hi, how about it's Dharl curry?Can u give?I am Ms Tan Lay Heong's Fb friend :)) I am a Msian who got to often live in Indonesian kg, cant buy roti pratha easily here, got to make our own and d Dharl curry, pls advise!

Leong said...

Hi Yochana,pls teach how to cook dharl curry?I have kacang dharl but it didnt turn out nice,something wrong somewhere, TQ

AJ @ Roti Prata said...

Yay! Thank you for sharing your food experience. I suggest that you try the best roti prata in Singapore and write a food review about it. Please keep us updated.