A blunder in the kitchen.....oops...I wonder if the name of the cake has got something to do with it. I was eating a slice of the cake and was happy with the chocolatey taste and went on to bake the next cake when my maid said "Mam...you still have balance egg yolks from the cake you baked. Oops...Gosh...I realised that I have forgotten to put in the egg yolks and baked this cake with just the egg white. Luckily it tasted really good and my girls in the office gave it a Thumbs up. Anyway, I didn't tell them about the egg yolks thingy...Mmm...I wonder if it'll taste better with the egg yolks. Alas...will try again next time.
150 gm. Chocolate - chopped
90 ml. water
100 gm. corn oil
25 gm. cocoa powder
65 gm. cake flour
1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
115 gm. egg yolks
Egg White Batter:
225 gm. egg white
100 gm. castor sugar
a pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. of cream of tartar
(1) Melt chocolate and stir till smooth. Add in cornoil slowly, stirring all the time till smooth. Fold in the rest of the ingredients and stir till smooth.
(2) Whisk egg white with cream of tartar till frothy, then pour in sugar gradually and then add in the salt. whiks till a soft peak is formed.
(3) Fold egg white into the egg yolk mixture and then pour into a 23" to 25" round chiffon cake pan.
(4) Bake at 175C for about 45 mins. or till cooked.
(5) Invert cake onto a cooling rack until completely cooled. Remove cake from pan and serve.