Sunday, July 01, 2007
Chocolate Cashew Brownie Cake
125 gm. semisweet chocolate - broken into small pieces
75 gm. bittersweet chocolate - broken into pieces
90 gm. unsalted butter
100 gm. plain flour
200 gm. fine sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. sour cream
3 cups cashew nuts - chopped and toasted. Leave some whole for decoration.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
360 gm. semisweet chocolte - broken into pieces
(1) Microwave or double-boil semisweet and bittersweet chocolate with butter. Stir till smooth.
(2) Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixer and whisk on high until slightly thicken and doubled in volume.
(3) Add in melted chocolate and whisk for 15 secs. Remove the mixing bowl and fold in flour, salt and baking powder, using a rubber spatula. Add the sour cream to the brownie mixture until thoroughly combined.
(4) Pour the brownie cake batter into a 9" round or square tin. Bake in the preheated oven of 175C until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on cooling rack for 10 mins. before turning it out. Cool completely on cooling rack or chill in the fridge.
(5) To prepare ganache, heat the heavy cream, 3 Tbsp. butter and 3 Tbsp. sugar over simmering water, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir till smooth.
(6) Add in semisweet chocolate and stir till smooth. Remove 1 cup of ganache and keep at room temperature and add cashew nuts into the rest of ganache.
(7) Remove the brownie cake from refrigerator. Slice the brownie into 3 equal layers. Place the top layer of the cake in a cake ring or sprinform pan. Spread the cashew nut ganache on top, repeat with the other 2 layers. Refrigerator the brownie cake for at least one hour before pouring the plain ganache.
(8) Arrange some whole cashew nuts on top as decoration.