Monday, March 05, 2007

Savoury Fried Nian Gao

I would like to thank one of my fans for giving me the tips to make this savoury fried nian gao which my family gave 4 thumbs up!! It's crispy and the heavenly smell of the shallots is simply amazing and I was surprised that it actually taste better then the sweet batter...Thanks again anonymous who is a Chinese-Indonesian.



This is my agaration recipe: (mix them all together)
Batter:
50 gm. plain flour
30 gm. rice flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. Tapioca flour
1 tsp. white pepper
a pinch of msg (optional)
1 egg
3 small shallots or 1 red onion (chopped)
Water - I forgot to measure the water, I poured until I get a batter that can stick to the nian gao (probably around 60 gm.)

I hope our friend, anonymous see this and if she has a better recipe to share, we'll be most grateful. TIA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy, can you and friend share this recipe? Thanks. :)

regards,
Eileen

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi eileen,

our friend did not give me the exact recipes but just the ingredients only but I mix it myself according to agaration but anyway I will post mine which I made today...

rgds

Anonymous said...

Hi, yochana, I am really glad you like my recipe, I am sorry but I don't have the exact recipe, but your recipe is right,but I dont use tapioka flour.You are a very talented and creative person.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yochana,

Going to try this. I tried my first fried nian gao last Saturday, it didn't turn out well.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

rgds,
angeline

Anonymous said...

Aunty Yochana

Hiya! I wana cry manz. I just mixed the ingredients shared by the nice indonesia lady/man. :P

Then I took out my nian Kao from the fridge. I put them in normal area inside plastic bag. Stinks bad. I proceed to slice the nian kao and there's mould where the pandan leaves are!

Apparantly, the base is quite wet and its good for mould to grow in. EVEN in fridge! Aiyoooooooooo

Then I threw away my mixed batter. So sad! What should I do to prevent this from happening?

Btw, i threw away 2 nian Kao and they are expensive! One small one costed me like $2 or $3. Bought them from Da Chong Guo. Aiiiiii. Gek Sim manz

Rgds
Jen

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi Jen,

the best is to eat it when it's fresh. It will turn mouldy especially when you have keep for more than 6 months.

rgds

Hong 阿豐 said...

Hi Yochana, Sharing with you my Fried Nian Gao

Aunty Yochana said...

Oh Thanks Dolphing.

rgds