Friday, February 02, 2007

Fish Nian Kao




One of the most ubiquitous sights on display at Chinese New Year bazaars is the Nian Gao or Chinese New Year cake. To the chinese, the word nian means "year" and gao means "higher", which taken together represents progress in the new lunar calendar year.

Households believe that nian gao must unfailingly be offered every year to the Kitchen God. In this custom, the family "feeds" the sticky pudding to the Kitchen God one week before Lunar New Year to ensure a good report in their favour upon his return to heaven. This is a way of ensuring that the god's mouth would be too crammed with cake to coherently present a negative report.

Whatever it is, nian gao is a lip-smacking fare to be enjoyed in the company of friends and family. The nian gao can either be steamed and then tossed in grated coconut or pan-fried with eggs or even deep-fried with sweet potatoes and yam dipped in egg and flour batter. Really delicious....Enjoy!!! eat your way to Happiness and Prosperity!!!!

8 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This simply is the best Niangao I have ever seen!

Angie's Recipes
http://schneiderchen.de

Aunty Yochana said...

Thank you so much Angie..
rgds

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Lucy
May I know which nian gao recipe did you use? Florence's or your own? The fish color looks like that nian gao from tai chong kok
:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunty !
It's look nice , I wish you and your family all the best in year coming !
PS: Now I addict come to your blog ,since I saw it , I love your bakes so much !
Michelle

Little Corner of Mine said...

Now this look like the traditional nian gao we always eat. I just have no idea what to do with the white one. LOL! Love the moulds!

Aunty Yochana said...

Thanks Little Corner of Mine.

rgds

Aunty Yochana said...

Hi chawanmushi,

Hahaha....I used florence's recipe but used the dark brown sugar.

rgds

Anonymous said...

Hello...! I'm interested with the cake. I want to make it by myself. Do you have the fish mold and the cake mold ? I want to buy it. Thank you