Thursday, December 07, 2006
Chocolate Banana Swirl Cake
Ingredients for the base of the pan: Mix together and sprinkle at base of pan
2 Tbsp. Butter
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp. castor sugar
For the Cake:
250 gm. Cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
1/4 tsp. salt
185 gm. Butter
200 gm. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
3 large eggs
3 very ripe bananas - peeled and mashed till fine
6 Tbsp. ( 3 ozs.) Buttermilk or sour cream
120 gm. Dark chocolate - melted
(1) Sprinkle ingredients for the base into the pan.
(2) Sieve flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda toghether and leave aside.
(3) Beat butter and sugar together till creamy and pale.
(4) Add in mashed bananas and vanilla essence and mix well.
(5) Add in eggs one at a time beating till just incorporated.
(6) Fold in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
(7) Divide mixture into 2 parts.
(8) Mix one part of the mixture with melted chocolate.
(9) Scoop mixture one on top of the other till finished, gently run the spatula through the batter to slightly swirl the batter. Slightly tap the pan on the table.
(10) Bake at 175C for about 45 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
(11) Remove from oven and set aside for 5 mins. before removing from the pan.
(12) Leave on a wire rack to cool.