Monday, October 15, 2007
4 egg yolks
40 gm. Sugar
3 egg white
80 gm. sugar
120 gm. plain flour
2 egg yolks
60 gm. sugar
10 gm. gelatine powder or gelatine leaves (soak in cold water)
2 Tbsp. Water (omit water if using gelatine leaves)
250 gm. Mascarpone cheese
200 gm. Whipped Cream
2 Tbsp. Kahlua
15 gm. Instant coffee powder (Nescafe)
200 gm. Warm water
2 Tbsp. Kahlua
(1) For sponge finger: Whisk egg yolks with sugar till fluffy.
(2) Whisk egg white with 80 gm. sugar till stiff. Then fold in egg yolk mixture and flour.
(3) Fill the batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe fingers onto tray and bake at 175C for about 10 mins. or till golden brown.
(4) For tiramisu: Beat egg yolk, egg and sugar over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that pot is not sitting directly onto the water. Use a small pot, the mixing bowl slightly bigger and then sit on the rim of the pot. Whisk till egg yolk is lemoney in colour. Cool to room temperature.
(5) Add in mascarpone cheese and mix lightly. Don't overmix otherwise the cheese will be coarse.
(6) Soak gelatine powder with water and then microwave for about 20- 25 secs.
(7) Fold in whipped cream and kahlua and gelatine mixture.
(8) To assemble: Use a 7" sq. tray. Soak sponge fingers into the coffee syrup, lay a layer into the tray and then top up with some tiramisu filling. Continue the same process till all the sponge fingers and tiramisu are used up. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours for the gelatine to set.
(9) Sieve cocoa powder on top of the cake and decorate as desired.
(10) Serve chilled. This is sure to "Wow" her guest.