Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Sweet Potato Curry Puffs
500 gm. Plain flour
100 gm. Rice flour
90 gm. Tapioca flour
200 gm. Margarine or Butter
230 to 250 gm. Water
400 gm. Sweet Potatoes - peeled and diced
300 gm. Potatoes - peeled and diced
4 Tablespoon Oil
150 gm. chopped Onion
1 Tbsp. Curry leaves
2 1/2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
1 Tbsp. Chilli Powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Sugar
(1) Skin: Rub plain flour, rice flour, tapioca flour and margarine until well mixed. Slowly add in water and knead into a dough. Rest dough for 20 mins.
(2) Fillings: Cook sweet potatoes and potatoes in water for about 10 mins. Dish and drain. Heat oil in kwali and saute chopped onion until fragrant.
(3) Add in curry leaves, chilli powder, curry powder and stir fry until aromatic. Add in remaining ingredients and stir-fry until well mixed and dry. Dish out and leave to cool.
(4) Roll our skin dough into 3 mm thick and cut into 4" round shape. Wrap up fillings and form into the shape of curry puff. Seal the opening tightly and pleat it.
(5) Heat up oil for deep-frying, deep-fry curry puffs until golden brown. Dish and drain.
(6) Serve hot.
Note: Never over knead the pastry, otherwise the curry puffs will be tough and leathery!!
Always use enough oil during deep-frying so that the colour will be even and the pastry is more crispy.