Saturday, May 12, 2007
Ingredients for sponge fingers:
90 gm. egg white
90 gm. sugar
60 gm. egg yolk
90 gm. flour
Ingredients for Mousseline (filling):
150 gm. fresh milk
20 gm. sugar
30 gm. egg yolks
15 gm. sugar
2 sheets gelatine leaves - soaked in cold water till soft then microwave for 20 secs.
6 gm. flour
6 gm. corn flour
150 gm. whipped cream
(1) For sponge fingers: Whisk egg white till slightly frothy, add in the 90 gm. sugar spoon by spoon, beating well after each addition.
(2) Add in yolks and continue whisking.
(3) Fold in flour and mix gently. Put mixture into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe a row of 6 cm. fingers, next to each other so that they will stick together when baked.
(4) Sieve some icing sugar on top and bake at 190C for about 10 to 12 mins.
(5) Remove from oven and leave onto wire rack to cool.
(6) Place sponge fingers into cake rings, place a piece of cake at the base.
(7) For Mousse: Melt sugar in milk, bring to boil.
(8) Whisk egg yolk with sugar in a bowl, add flour and corn flour and mix well.
(9) Add boiled milk slowly, stirring all the time.
(10) Bring mixture to a boil, add in soaked gelatine, stirring until mixture thickens. Leave to cool completely.
(11) Fold in whipped cream.
(12) Spoon some mousse into the prepared sponge cake, place a strawberry in the centre of the mousse then spoon remaining mousse on top till almost the rim. chill in the fridge till set.
(13) Decorate with strawberries and serve chilled. "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY"
Recipe adapted from : FOOD & TRAVEL MAGAZINE