Wednesday, March 07, 2007
250 gm. Self-raising flour
pinch of salt
60 gm. castor sugar
1 egg - lightly beaten
30 gm. butter - cut into small pieces
185 gm. buttermilk or fresh milk
1/2 Tbsp. lavender
extra milk or beaten egg - for glazing onto scones
(1) Preheat oven to 210C. Lightly grease a baking tray.
(2) Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add in cut butter amd rubt lightly with fingertips.
(3) Add in sugar and lavender and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, add in beaten egg and milk. Mix quickly and lightly to a soft dough. If it's too dry, you can add in extra milk.
(4) Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Press with palms or roll out to form a 2 cm. thick though.
(5) Use a round 5 cm. (2 inch) plain cutter to cut the dough into rounds. If you like it square, you can cut into squares too.
(6) Place the rounds onto the prepared tray and brush with extra milk or beaten egg.
(7) Bake for 12 - 15 mins. or till golden brown.
(8) Serve warm with jam or butter.
Note: The dough should not be overworked, but lightly mixed.