Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Green Apple Mousse Cake
Digestive Biscuit Base:
160 gm. digestive biscuit
80 gm. melted butter
Apple Mousse filling: (7" round sprinform tin)
1 egg yolk + 20 gm. sugar
100 ml. fresh milk
80 gm. blended green apple until puree
80 gm. Whipped cream
1/4 lemon juice and zest
100 gm. diced apples
1 tsp. apple liquer (optional)
some apple green coloring
15 gm. gelatine powder + 60 gm. water
50 gm. green apple puree
1 egg (separate)
50 gm. castor sugar
150 gm. whipped cream
250 gm. mascarpone cheese (softened)
100 gm. philidelphia cream cheese
4 sheets of gelatine leaves (soaked in cold water) or 12 gm. gelatine powder
2 tsp. instant jelly
30 gm. sugar
250 gm. water
5 gm. gelatine powder
some apple green colouring
Some diced apples
(1) Blend biscuit till fine and add in melted butter. Mix thoroughly and press into an 8" cake ring with a base below. Refrigerate till harden.
(2) Bring milk and sugar to boil, add in egg yolk and stir till combined. Add in apple puree, gelatine mixture, diced apples, lemon juice, lemon zest, apple liquer and green colouring.
(3) Fold in whipped cream and pour into a 7" springform tin. Set in the refrigerator.
(4) For cheese filling: Combine cream cheese and egg yolk well. Double-boil for a while over a pot of simmering hot water. Stir in apple puree and gelatine mixture and stir till gelatine dissolves. Leave to cool then stir in mascarpone cheese.
(5) Fold in whipped cream till evenly mixed.
(6) When the apple mousse filling is set, remove from the springform tin.
(7) Pour some cheese filling onto the prepared biscuit base then place the apple mousse filling in the middle, then top up with the balance cream cheese filling mixture and smoothen the top. Set in the refrigerator.
(8) Cook all the topping till gelatine and instant jelly melts. Stir in diced apples. Cool it then pour on top of the set cream cheese filling. Set in the fridge again and then remove mousse cake from cake ring and decorate. Serve chilled.