Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Orange Mousse Cake
Ingredients for sponge cake:
60 gm. sugar
65 gm. cake flour - sifted
30 gm. cornoil
3 egg yolks
30 gm. sugar
70 gm. orange juice (freshly squeezed)
10 gm. gelatine powder + 40 gm. water (soaked together)
1/4 tsp. orange emulco or paste
100 gm. Non-dairy whip cream
30 gm. orange liquer (Grand marnier or cointreau)
Cake crumbs or sliced almonds
Some whipped fresh cream
some sliced orange
(1) For cake: whisk eggs and sugar till thick.
(2) Fold in cake flour and cornoil and pour into an 8" round cake tin.
(3) Bake at 175C for about 30 to 40 mins or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
(4) Leave cake to cool on wire rack. Slice cake into half horizontally.
(5) For orange mousse: Whisk egg yolks and sugar till thick over a pot of simmering water. Stir in orange emulco and orange juice and stir till well combined.
(6) Add in soaked gelatine mixture and orange liquer. Leave to cool.
(7) Fold in whipped cream.
(8) Place 1 layer of sponge cake into a cake ring. Then pour orange mousse on top and leave to set in the refrigerator.
(9) Remove cake from cake ring and spread whipped fresh cream at the side and pipe the edge border with a star nozzle.
(10) Coat the sides with cake crumbs or sliced almonds and decorate the top with sliced oranges.
Note: If you like, you can use 2 layers of cake then divide the mousse into 2 parts. Place 1 pc of sponge cake into a cake ring, top with orange mousse, then top with another layer of sponge cake and then pour the balance mousse on top and let it set.