Thursday, January 04, 2007
Lime Mousse Cake
Ingredients for sponge cake:
180 gm. eggs
75 gm. sugar
75 gm. cake flour
50 gm. melted butter
Ingredients for Lime Mousse:
70 gm. sugar
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. cornflour
grated zest of Lime and juice of 1 lime
1 cup fresh milk
3 1/2 sheets gelatine sheets (soak in cold water for about 3 mins.)
250 gm. whipped cream
(1) For sponge cake: Whisk eggs and sugar till fluffy.
(2) Fold in flour and melted butter and pour into an 8" round cake tin.
(3) Bake at 175C for about 25 to 30 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
(4) Take out from oven, and leave cake in tin for 5 mins. before removing from tin. Cool on wire rack. Slice cake into 2 layers.
(5) For mousse: Whisk egg yolks and sugar together. Mix in cornflour, lime zest and lime juice.
(6) Boil fresh milk till almost boiling, pour into egg mixture, stir evenly and return milk mixture onto stove and cook till thick. Remove from stove, add in soaked gelatine sheets and stir till gelatine completely dissolves. Leave to cool.
(7) When custared is cooled, fold in whipped cream and divide mixture into 2 parts.
(8) Place cake into a cake ring, pour in 1 part of mousse, top up with the other layer of cake and pour balance mousse on top. Keep in the refrigerator to let it set.
(9) When cake is set, decorate the cake with whipped cream as desired.
(10) Chill cake in refrigerator before serving.
Note: If you like the mousse to be more sourish, you can add in a little bit more of the lime juice.