Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Chocolate Caramel Mousse Cake
Ingredients for Chocolate Cake:
250 gm. castor sugar
120 gm. corn oil
2 large eggs
220 gm. cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup cocoa powder
125 gm. sour cream
250 gm. buttermilk
2 tsp. Gelatine powder + 1/2 cup water
150 gm. castor sugar
50 gm. unsalted butter
2 cups Dairy Whip Cream
Chocolate Ganache: Mix them all together and melt over a pot of simmering water or microwave for about 40 secs and then stir till combined.
180 gm. Chocolate - finely chopped
150 gm. Dairy whip cream
1 Tbsp. Light corn syrup
Method for cake:
(1) Beat sugar, cornoil and eggs on medium speed for 8 mins. until well blended and light and pale in colour.
(2) Mix sour cream and buttermilk together and set aside.
(3) Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together and then fold into eggs mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture and mix well.
(4) Pour into a 9" round tray and bake for about 55 - 60 mins. or till a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
(5) Remove cake from oven and cool cake on a wire rack for about 10 min.s then unmould it and leave it to cool completely.
Method for mousse:
(1) Put sugar and 5 tbsp. water into a pan and cook over medium heat, stirring continously till it turns amber. Ocassionally can turn to high but becareful not to cook till burnt.
(2) Add in butter and stir till smooth.
(3) In a slow steady stream, pour in 1 cup of Dairy whip cream into the hot caramel stirring to combine. If it turns lumpy, return to stove and dissolve over low heat again.
(4) Melt gelatine mixture and then pour into caramel mixture. Leave to cool.
(5) Whip the remaining 1 cup of Dairy whip cream and fold into cooled caramel mixture.
(6) Slice chocolate sponge cake into 3 layers.
(7) Spread caramel mousse onto the cake and then stack another layer of cake on top and spread caramel mousse and repeat till finish.
(8) Cover and spread the balance cream onto the whole cake and put the cake in the fridge to let it set.
(9) When the cake is set, pour the ganache over it and return to the fridge again to let the ganache set.
(10) Slice and serve.