Sunday, September 24, 2006
Bird's Nest Custard Filling Snow skin mooncake
Ingredients for snow skin:
130 gm. Kao fen - Fried glutinous rice flour
20 gm. Tang mien flour (Wheat starch)
200 gm. icing sugar
40 gm. Crisco shortening
40 gm. coconut powder
180 gm. cold water
Bottles bird's nests - drain away water and use the bird's nest (optional)
5 nos. eggs
160 gm. sugar
120 gm. butter
50 gm. plain flour
40 gm. cornflour
50 gm. milk powder
50 gm. custard powder
70 gm. Condensed milk
150 gm. Evaporated milk or coconut milk
Few drops of vanilla essence
(1) For skin: Mix kao fen, wheat starch, icing sugar, coconut powder and shortening till well mixed.
(2) Pour in cold water and mix into a dough. Set aside to rest.
(3) For filling: Mix well sugar with butter and then add in eggs one at a time until well mixed.
(4) Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix till well combined and smooth.
(5) Pour mixtur into a non-stick pot and cook till slightly thickens, pour into a mixing bowl and steam for 25 to 30 mins. till set.
(6) After steaming, stir the mixture into a smooth paste and let it cool.
(7) Weigh the custard according to your mould, 30 gm. filling wrap in 1 tsp Bird's Nests. Make into round balls and set aside.
(8) Weigh skin dough about 28 gm. and then wrap with the custard filling. Press into small moulds and knock out the mooncakes.
Note: for dusting the moulds and hands, please steam some Hong Kong flour for about 10 mins or can sue any cake flour, leave it to cool and then sieve it.