Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Mocha chocolate mousse cake
Ingredients for sponge cake:
180 gm. Chocolate optima flour
1 tsp. ovalette
3 tsp. instant coffee powder mix with 40 gm. of hot water
1 tsp. coffee emulco
60 ml. corn oil
Note: This sponge cake can slice into 2 layers but you can also use 1 slice chocolate sponge and 1 plain sponge.
coffee mousse filling:
1 tsp. gelatine powder mix with 3 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. coffee paste
200 gm. non dairy whip cream
50 gm. black raisins
1 Tbsp. Kahlua or Tia Maria
Ingredients for chocolate mousse filling:
60 gm. chopped chocolate
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. gelatine powder mix with 45 ml. milk
150 gm. non dairy whip cream (can use the chocolate flavour whip cream if you have)
1 Tbsp. Chocolate liquer or Creme de Cacao
Some fresh cream and some Hershey cocoa powder
(1) Beat chocolate optima flour, eggs and coffee mixture till fluffy.
(2) Add in coffee emulco and cornoil and mix thoroughly.
(3) Pour into a 9" square tin and bake at 175C for about 25 mins.
(4) Remove from tin and leave on wire rack to cool. Slice into 2 layers.
(5) For coffee mousse, melt the gelatine with water in a microwave oven or double boil till gelatine melts.
(6) Mix gelatine mixture into whipped cream, fold gently and then add in coffee emulco or paste, kahlua and raisins.
(7) Spread the coffee mousse onto one layer of chocolate sponge cake. Lay another layer of sponge cake on top of the coffee mousse filling.
(8) For chocolate mousse, melt the chocolate over double boiler or microwave it. Mix the milk with gelatine powder, let it bloom and then microwave it till gelatine melts. Fold melted chocolate and gelatine mixture into whipped cream. Add in chocolate liquer and cocoa powder. Fold till evenly mixed.
(9) Spread the chocolate mousse filling onto the 2nd layer sponge cake and level it.
Put into the refrigerator to let it set.
(10) Pipe some lines onto the chocolate mousse and sieve top with some cocoa powder.
(11) Refrigerate again and let it set. Chill and serve.