Friday, August 04, 2006
This cake needs the above special checkerboard cake pan set and if you don't have, just use 2 pcs. of smaller cake ring to fit into your cake pan.
180 gm. Butter
250 gm. sugar
3 nos. eggs
1 tsp. vanilla essence
200 ml. fresh milk
250 gm. cake flour
10 gm. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
60 gm. cooking chocolate - chopped coarsely and melted
Ganache: Mix together and double-boil
250 gm. chocolate
180 gm. Dairy cream
(1) Beat butter and sugar till creamy.
(2) Add in eggs one at a time and beat till well mixed.
(3) Pour in the fresh milk gradually and if it cuddels, add a tablespoon of flour and then mix till creamy. Add in salt and vanilla essence.
(4) Add in the balance flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
(5) Divide the batter into 2 portions, giving a bit more to the plain portion.
(6) Add melted chocolate into the lesser portion.
(7) Use piping bags, fill up the bags with batter and pipe alternately into the ring and then lift up the rings.
(8) You need 3 trays of 9" cake pan to pipe the alternate colours.
(9) Bake at 175C for about 35 mins or till cooked.
(10) For ganache, put all the ingredients into a microwave bowl and microwave it till chocolate melts, stir it till smooth and let it set before pouring onto cake.
(11) Spread each layer of cake with ganache and lay the cakes alternately to get a checkerboard pattern.
(12) Pour balance ganache onto cake and set in the fridge before slicing it.
(13) Slice with a warm knife but not too hot otherwise the chocolate will smudge the cake and it looks untidy.