Saturday, June 12, 2010
Chocolate Mud Cake
250 gm. Unsalted Butter
250 gm. dark chocolate - chopped
2 Tabsp. Instant Coffee - Nescafe
185 gm. or 3/4 cup hot water
150 gm or 1 1/4 cup of self-raising flour
150 gm. or 1 1/4 cup of cake flour or plain flour
60 gm. or 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
450 gm. castor sugar
4 eggs - lightly beaten
2 tbsp. cornoil
125 ml. or 1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/4 tsp. salt
150 gm. unsalted butter
150 gm. chopped chocolate
(1) Prepare a 9" round cake tin.
(2) Place butter, chocolate, coffee and water in a saucepan and stir over low heat till smooth. Remove from the heat.
(3) Sift flour,salt, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
(4) Mix eggs oil and buttercream together and mix well.
(5) Pour the chocolate mixture and egg mixture into the centre of the flour mixture. Mix well.
(6) Pour cake mixture into the tin and bake at 180C for about 1 1/4 hours. Test the centre with the skewer - the skewer may be slightly wetter than normal. Remove cake from oven. If the cake looks uncooked, bake a further 5 - 10 mins, then remove.
(7) Leave cake in tin till cooled, then turn out onto a rack.
(8) For the topping, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in a microwave oven till melted. Stir till smooth then pour over the chocolate cake, allowing it to run over the side.
Note: Cake if kept in the fridge properly can keep up till 3 weeks. Can be frozen up to 2 months.