Friday, July 24, 2009
Yam Custard Cake
Ingredients for cake:
90 gm. unsalted butter
90 gm. cake flour
100 gm. coconut milk or evaporated milk
80 gm. mashed yam (steamed till soft then mash it)
1/2 tsp. Yam Paste
1/8 tsp. puple / violet colouring
1 egg - lightly beaten
150 gm. egg yolks (1 egg = 20 gm. egg yolk)
250 gm. egg white
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
130 gm. sugar
Fillings: Mix together and stir till smooth. If mixture is too thick, add in a little more milk.
250 gm. Fresh Milk
100 gm. Instant Custard
(1) Melt butter till completely melted down. Stir in cake flour and stir till smooth.
(2) Mash yam and mix with yam paste and colouring. Add in beaten egg and egg yolks.
Stir well and smooth.
(3) Mix butter mixture with egg yolks mixture till well combined.
(4) Whisk egg white with cream of tartar, then add in salt and sugar.
(5) Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture and then pour into two -24 cm x 24 cm x 3 cm tray and bake at 170C for 45 mins.
(6) Sandwich cakes with instant custard fillings.
(7) Sift some snow powder on top of cake , slice and serve.