Saturday, May 16, 2009
For the Sponge Dough:
30 ml. warm water
80 ml. fresh milk
2 teasp. instant yeast
pinch of sugar
40 gm. bread flour
For Bread dough:
100 gm. unsalted butter
65 gm. sugar
grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk
300 gm. bread flour
Mix together and leave overnight:
100 gm. raisins
45 gm. mixed candied peel (orange peel)
45 gm. red and green glazed cherries - cut into quaters
2 Tbsp. Rum
(1) Sponge dough: Combine water , pinch of sugar and milk with instant yeast. Stir till yeast and sugar dissolves. Leave aside for 5 to 10 mins.
(2) Add in 40 gm. bread flour and mix until smooth. Leave aside for 30 mins.
(3) Bread dough: Place all ingredients and sponge dough into a mixer bowl except salt and butter. Beat for 8 mins, then add in salt and butter. Continue beating till a smooth , soft and springy dough is achieved.
(4) Knead in marinated dried fruits and mix till combined.
(5) Transfer dough to a bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.
(6) Take out dough from container, weigh dough and scale to about 75 gm. balls and leave to rest for 10 mins.
(7) Roll round balls and place into muffin cups.
(8) Leave to rise at room temperature until the dough domes up to the rim of the muffin cups - about 45 mins to 1 hour.
(9) Brush bread with beaten egg and bake in oven at 180C for about 15 mins. or till bread is golden brown and cooked through.
(10) Cool bread thoroughly before serving.