Thursday, June 12, 2008
Strawberry Mousse Delight
Ingredients for Sponge Cake: (9" round)
250 gm. Optima flour
250 gm. eggs (about 4 large eggs)
1 tsp. ovalette
50 ml. water
1/2 tsp. Vanille essence
60 gm. corn oil
Ingredients for side cake: (for 11" x 14" rectangular tray)3 egg yolks
40 gm. sugar
80 gm. plain flour
15 gm, cornflour
1/8 tsp. vanilla essence
3 egg whites
40 gm. sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
For Strawberry Mousse:
400 ml. UHT whipping cream
350 gm. Strawberry puree
120 gm. sugar
1 teasp. strawberry paste
25 gm. gelatine powder mixed with 100 gm. water
Method for sponge cake:
(1) Put all the ingredients into a mixer bowl except cornoil and whisk till thick and pale in colour.
(2) Fold in cornoil and then pour into the 9" round tray and bake at 175C for 50 to 60 mins. or till cooked. Unmould and leave to cool on a cooling rack. slice into 2 layers.
(3) For Side cake: Line the tray.
(4) Whisk egg yolks with sugar until thick. Whisk egg white with sugar and whisk till thick. Mix egg yolk and egg white mixture together. Divide mixtur into 2 portions. Add vanilla essence into one portion and cocoa powder into the other portion.
(5) Pour batter into piping bags and pipe out diagonally into strips onto the baking tray. Bake for 10 mins. Leave to cool.
(6) For strawberry Mousse: Mix strawberry puree, sugar and strawberry paste into a saucepan and warm it over a stove to melt the sugar. Then add in gelatine mixture. Leave to cool. Fold in whipped cream. Divide into 2 portions.
(7) Cut slanted sponge cakes according to the height of the cake ring and place it into the cake ring.
(8) Lay a layer of sponge cake into the cake ring as base.
(9) Pour in half of the strawberry mousse on top of the cake then top up with another layer of sponge cake. Pour the balance mousse on top of the sponge cake. Leave in the chiller to let it set for at least 4 hours.
(10) Grated some strawberry chocolate on top or decorated as desired.