This is a kuih where the teochews place it on the altar as food offering...
4 Tbsp. Plain flour or Hong Kong flour
1 tsp. Instant Yeast
1 Tbsp. caster sugar
200 ml. Water
Ingredients (B):3/4 tsp. Ammonia powder
20 ml hot water
100 gm. sugar
1/2 tsp. alkaline water or air abu
350 gm. Hong Kong flour or any kind of pau flour
1 tsp. Double-action baking powder
30 gm. shortening
1 tsp. ovalette or emulsifier
1/8 tsp. salt
Green and Red colouring
(1) Mix all the ingredients (A) in a bowl till yeast dissolved. Ferment for 30 mins.
(2) Mix all the ingredients (B) together then add in ingredients (A) and then ingredients (C). Mix to combine.
(3) Place all the ingredients (D) into a mixer , add in (2) dough and then knead to form a soft dough.
(4) Divide dough into 3 parts. Colour one part green, one part red and leave one part plain.
(5) Roll out each part flat and longish shape, place each part on top of one another. Roll it out into a rectagular shape and then roll up into a Swiss roll. Pinch or twist the dough (size of a golf ball) and place it on a piece of greaseproof paper. Place twisted end facing upwards and arrange on steaming tray.
(6) Proof for 30 mins.
(7) Steam over medium heat for about 15 mins.
(8) Cool on wire rack.