Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Chocolate Ping Pi Mooncake
Ingredients for skin:
200 gm. koh fun (commercial fried glutinous rice flour)
230 gm. sifted icing sugar
75 gm. shortening
260 gm. cold water
450 gm. Lotus Paste
80 gm. roasted almond nibs
150 gm. bittersweet cooking chocolate (melted)
100 gm. whipping cream
550 gm. sponge cake (blend , chilled and cut into pieces)
(1) Mix all the ingredients for skin together. Do not knead too long. Weigh and scale to 65 gm. portion depending on the size of your mooncake mould.
(2) Mix lotus paste with almond nibs and scale into rounds balls of 40 gm. each.
(3) Mix melted chocolate and whipping cream with sponge cake and weigh into 60 gm. portion.
(4) Wrap the 40 gm. lotus paste with the chocolate portion and roll into a round ball.
(5) Take one portion of snow skin and wrap with filling. Press into moon cake mould and dislodge it.
(6) Chill mooncakes before serving.
Recipe adapted from the book by Y3K - Mooncakes (Alan Ooi).