This cake is called "White Velvet" because it uses egg white only..........!!
140 gm. egg white
240 gm. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
300 gm. cake flour
250 gm. sugar
20 gm. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
175 gm. Butter
(1) Mix egg white with 1/4 cup of milk from the 240 gm. milk. Add in vanilla extract.
(2) Sieve flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
(3) Using a machine, whisk the butter into the flour mixture till flour is moistened. Pour in balance milk and whisk till smooth for 1 or 2 mins.
(4) Add in egg white mixture and whisk till smooth.
(5) Pour into a 9" round tin or separate into two 9" round tins if you want to decorate them.
(6) Bake at 175C for about 60 mins. or till cooked. If the batter is separated into two, cut down baking time. Test with a skewer , insert into the center and if it comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, then it's cooked.
(7) Let the cakes cool in the pans on cooling racks for 10 mins. before unmoulding it. Let it cool completely before slicing.
recipe adapted from the book: The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum