Monday, June 11, 2007
Chocolate & Coffee Creme Brulee Tart
Ingredients for Pastry:
125 gm. unsalted butter - softened
70 gm. icing sugar
30 gm. ground hazelnut
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg - lightly beaten
200 gm. plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
10 gm. Cocoa powder
Coffee Creme Brulee:
500 gm. whipping cream
20 gm. instant coffee
4 egg yolks
75 gm. sugar
350 gm. Bittersweet Chocolate
400 gm. Whipping cream
70 gm. Butter
Method for pastry:
(1) Cream butter, sugar and salt till creamy.
(2) Add in egg and then fold in the flour, baking powder and ground hazelnuts. Knead till it becomes a pliable dough.
(3) Roll dough and line dough into a 10" square tray. Pre-bake the pastry for about 15 mins.
(4) To make the creme brulee, heat the cream in a pan. Stir in instant cofee.
(5) In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with sugar and then mix with heated coffee cream mixture and stir till well incorporated.
(6) Pour coffee mixture into pre-baked tart and bake for 20 mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
(7) For Chocolate ganache, bring the cream to boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and then pour into the chopped bittersweet chocolate and stir till it forms a homogeneous mixture, then add the butter, stirring till well mixed.
(8) Pour the chocolate ganache over the cooled creme brulee layer and set aside to cool.
(9) Chill in the fridge till it sets. Slice and serve.
**Recipe adapted from the book "Sweet and Savoury Tarts" by Eric Kayser.