Tuesday, April 10, 2007
90 gm. butter - softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
100 gm. castor sugar
150 gm. self-raising flour
2 Tbsp. UHT milk
250 gm. mascarpone cheese
40 gm. icing sugar
1 Tbsp. Marsala wine or Kahlua coffee liquer
180 gm. whipped cream
1 tbsp. instant coffee granules
80 ml. boiling water
2 Tbsp. marsala wine or kahlua coffee liquer
Decorations: 50 gm. dark cooking chocolate - grated finely
(1) For cupcakes: Cream butter, vanilla essence and sugar till creamy. Add in eggs, flour and milk and mix on low speed until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium, beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour. Spoon miture into muffin pan with paper cups.
(2) Bake at 175C for about 20 mins. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
(3) To make mascarpone cream: Combine mascarpone, sifted icing sugar and wine into small bowl and then fold in whipped cream. Note: I added in some coffee paste to make it a more fragrant coffee taste.
(4) For coffee syrup: Combine coffee, the water and wine in a bowl and cool.
(5) Remove paper cups from cakes. Cut each cake horizontally into four slices. Brush each slice of cake with coffee syrup. Join cake slices with mascarpone cream.
(6) Spread top of cakes with mascarpone cream and then sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate till set before serving.