Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Marbled Blueberry Cake
200 gm. fresh blueberries
20 gm. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
125 gm. butter
170 gm. self-raising flour - sifted
125 gm. sugar
2 tbsp. soft brown sugar
(1) Place 20 gm. sugar and half the blueberries into a small saucepan and stir gently over medium heat ro 2 mins. or until juices begin to run. Remove fro the heat and sir in the remaining blueberries. Leave aside to cool.
(2) Beat eggs in a mixing bowl and add in vanilla essence and butter. Mix well.
(3) Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the egg mixture and stir gently.
(4) Take out 3/4 cup of the batter and stir in the blueberries. Place spoonfuls of both mixtures radomly into a 9" round tin. Swirl mixture with a skewer to produce a marbled effect. Do not overmix the bluberries or they will blend together.
(5) Sprinkle some brown sugar on top and bake at 180C for about 50 to 60 mins. or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Stand cake in the tin for 5 mins. before removing onto a wire rack.
(6) Leave to cool completely on the rack before slicing.