Thursday, March 08, 2007
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake
180 gm. cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
75 gm. sugar
75 gm. melted butter
75 gm. cornoil
6 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla essence
6 egg white
100 gm. castor sugar
300 gm. whipped cream
1 Tbsp. Kirsch mixed with 2 Tbsp. of water - for brushing onto cake
10 strawberries - diced
10 strawberries - thinly slice
2 Tbsp. Strawberry gel + 2 Tbsp. hot water - for glazing fruit
(1) For cake: Sieve cake flour, baking powder and 75 gm. of sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
(2) Mix egg yolk, butter and cornoil together and then pour into flour mixture and stir till smooth.
(3) Whisk egg white till slightly frothy, then pour in 100 gm. sugar gradually and whisk till medium peak.
(4) Fold egg white with egg yolk mixture and then pour into a 8" Square tray and bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 45 mins. or till cooked.
(5) Leave cake to cool on wire rack and then slice cake into 3 slices.
(6) Brush each layer of cake with the kirsch mixture.
(7) Whip up the whipping cream and then spread whipped cream onto each layer and sprinkle diced strawberries on top. Repeat till the last layer of sponge cake. Spread the cake on top with whipped cream. Arrange sliced strawberries on top overlapping one another.
(8) Boil strawberry gel with water then brush it over the sliced strawberries.
(9) Chill before slicing and serve.