Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Thai Luk Chup
150 gm. Mung beans - soak overnight
100 gm. sugar
100 gm. fresh coconut milk
a pinch of salt
few pieces of pandan leaves
Agar agar for dipping:
300 ml. water
10 gm. agar agar powder
50 gm. sugar
(1) Steam mung beans till soft and then blend finely.
(2) Mix blended mung beans with sugar, coconut milk and pandan leaves and fry in a kwali till almost dry. Don't fry too dry otherwise it will be very hard to mould.
(3) Cool the paste and then pinch some mung beans and mould into small fruits. Use a tooth pick or satay stick to poke into the mung beans, then let it stand in a tin.
(4) Colour the moulded mung beans with edible colouring using a brush.
(5) Dip the coloured mung beans into hot agar agar a few times. The more times you dip the more crunchy it gets. Leave to set and chill it before serving.
I learnt this 15 years ago from Anna Phua.