Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Light Fruit Cake
150 gm. currants
150 gm. sultanas
130 gm. Raisins
100 gm. glaced cherries
50 gm. mixed peel
3 Tbsp. rum
230 gm. Butter
220 gm. sugar
finely grated rind of 1 orange
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
50 gm. chopped almonds
50 gm. ground almonds
230 gm. plain flour
50 gm. blanched almonds
(1) Soak currants, sultanas, raisins, cherries and mixed peel with rum, brandy or sherry overnight.
(2) Prepare an 8" round cake tin and lined the side and base with double layer of greaseproof paper.
(3) Cream butter and sugar till creamy. Add in orange zest and lemon zest and continue to beat till light and fluffy.
(4) Add in eggs one at a time till thoroughly mixed before adding in the next egg.
(5) Mix 2 Tbsp. of flour into the soaked fruits.
(6) Fold in chopped almonds, ground almonds and soaked fruits. Fold in sifted flour to make a soft dropping consistency.
(7) Pour batter into prepared cake tin. Arrange whole almonds on top of batter and bake at 160C.
(8) Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. or until centre is firm to the touch. Let the cake cool in the tin for 20 mins. then remove it onto a wire rack and leave it to cool completely.
(9) Leave the greaseproof paper intact and remove it only when you want to serve so as to keep the cake moist while stored.
(10) Drizzle some rum onto cake once a while to keep cake moist.