Friday, December 08, 2006
Ingredients for pastry:
120 gm. Butter
50 gm. sugar
1 small egg - beaten in a bowl
250 gm. Plain flour - sifted
1 tsp. vanilla essence
3 nos. Green apples - peeled off skin and slice
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
30 gm. Butter
65 gm. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
65 gm. raisins
40 gm. walnuts - chopped coarsely
65 gm. Breadcrumbs
1 tsp. rum
For Glazing: 1 beaten egg
(1) For pastry: beat butter and sugar till smooth, then pour in beaten egg in a steady stream till finished.
(2) Add in flour and vanilla essence and mix till a pliable dough is formed. Do not overbeat. Keep in the fridge to chill for about 20 mins.
(3) Put slice apples and all the fillings except breadcrumbs together in a big microwave oven for about 2 mins.
(4) Stir in breadcrumbs and mix till thoroughly combined.
(5) Divide the pastry dough into 2 parts.
(6) Roll one part of the dough and line a 8" loose-bottom tart pan.
(7) Fill in the fillings and press it lightly to make sure there's no gap.
(8) Roll the second part of the dough and lift it up onto the fillings and cover it properly.
(9) Prick the side with a fork to seal it properly.
(10) Prick on top of the pastry to allow air to escape during baking.
(11) Glaze with beaten egg.
(12) Bake at 180C for about 25 mins. or till apple pie is golden in colour.
(13) Remove from oven and let it cooled thoroughly before serving.
Note: Do not cut apple pie when it's hot, all the fillings will start dropping out. Slice and lift onto a plate and you can serve with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.