Thursday, December 21, 2006
130 gm. Butter
180 gm. light brown sugar
190 gm. cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla essence
2/3 cup Buttermilk
2 nos. of green apples - shred then chop
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
Cream cheese frosting:
180 gm. cream cheese
50 gm. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup icing sugar
(1) Prepare a 9" square baking pan. Grease and dust with flour or lined with greaseproof paper.
(2) Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and all the spices into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
(3) Cream butter and brown sugar till creamy.
(4) Add in eggs one at a time and mix till well combined.
(5) Fold in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
(6) Fold in chopped apples and walnuts.
(7) Pour into prepared pan and bake at 175C for about 40 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
(8) Remove cake from oven and let it sit in the tin for 5 to 10 mins before removing it.
(9) Leave the cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
(10) For frosting: cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in vanilla essence, ground cinnamon and maple syrup. Mix well.
(11) Pour in icing sugar and let it beat till smooth.
(12) Spread frosting on top of apple cake and cut into squares and serve.