Monday, November 06, 2006
Recipe yields about 19 nos. or buns
Ingredients for Bun dough:
480 gm. bread flour
120 gm. Hong Kong flour
100 gm. sugar
10 gm. salt
20 gm. milk powder
15 gm. Instant yeast
1 tsp. Bread improver
300 ml. cold water
60 gm. Margarine
some sesame seeds for sprinkling
1/2 beaten egg for glazing
300 gm. Yam - peeled and steam till soft
200 gm. sugar
60 gm. Butter
(1) Steam yam till soft, then mash it with sugar while it's still hot.
(2) Cook the mashed yam with butter till it thickens.
(3) Leave to cool.
(1) Mix all the ingredients together into a mixing bowl except margarine. Beat till a dough is formed. Beat for about 10 mins.
(2) Add in margarine and then continue to beat for another 5 mins.
(3) Shape dough into a round ball and leave inside the mixer to let it proof for about 45 mins.
(6) Weigh and scale into 60 gm. dough and roll into round balls. Rest for 10 mins.
(7) Wrap dough with yam fillings and then arrange onto a baking tray and let it proof for another 45 mins.
(8) Brush buns with beaten eggs, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top if desired.
(9) Bake at 190C for about 10 mins.
(10) Remove from oven and leave onto wire rack to cool.
*this recipe is adaped from the book "The World of Bread" by Alex Goh