For beginners who wants to make char siew pau, I suggest they try this recipe first and next round I will post the 3 days pau and then the 5 days pau. Happy trying!!
Recipe yields about 17 to 18 nos.
Ingredients for dough:
300 gm. Hong Kong flour
60 gm. castor sugar
2 tsp. Instant Yeast
2 tsp. double-action Baking Powder
35 gm. Shortening
120 ml. water
250 gm. Char Siew (diced)
1 Onion - diced
1 Tbsp. Oyster sauce
1 Tbsp. Soya Sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
150 ml. water ) combined
1 1/2 Tbsp. cornflour )
Salt and sugar to taste
oil for frying
Sieve flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
(2) Add in sugar, instant yeast and shortening and beat with a 'K' beater for awhile to mix, then pour in water and knead till a dough is formed.
(3) Change into a dough hook and continue to beat till it is non-sticky or you can knead with your hands for about 15 mins.
(4) Remove dough from mixer bowl and let it proof for about 30 mins.
(5) Weigh and scale into small dough of about 30 gm. each.
(6) Wrap with fillings and seal tightly. Place onto greaseproof paper and leave to proof for another 30 mins.
(7) Steam over high heat for 10 mins.
(1) Heat up oil and fry the diced onion until fragrant.
(3) Add in Add in char siew and the rest of the ingredients.
(3) Cook till thick.
(4) Leave to cool before wrapping.