Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Chocolate Cream Cheese Eclair
Ingredients for choux pastry:
100 gm. Water
80 gm. fresh milk
95 gm. hard butter
120 gm. plain flour
3 large eggs
Chocolate cream cheese filling:
250 gm. Cream Cheese
50 gm. Icing sugar
50 gm. Instant custard powder
100 gm. fresh milk
120 gm. melted chocolate
180 gm. whipped cream
Decoration: Melted chocolate and sprinklers
(1) Boil water, milk and butter in a pot till rolling boil.
(2) Pour in the plain flour immediately and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
(3) Leave paste to cool till lukewarm and transfer paste into a mixing bowl.
(4) Beat with a 'K' beater ...add in eggs one at a time till well blended.
(5) Place mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a strip onto a tray.
(6) Bake at 190c for about 20 mins. or till golden brown. Do not open the door while the pastry is baking or else it will collapse.
(1) Cream cream cheese with icing sugar till creamy.
(2) Mix instant custard powder with fresh milk.
(3) Pour in melted chocolate into cream cheese mixture and mix well.
(4) Mix in instant custard powder mixture and then fold in whipped cream.
(5) Slice puff eclair into half and then pipe chocolate cream cheese mixture onto it and sandwich with the other piece. Note: If you like to eat choux pastry like me, no need to slice. Just take two pieces and sandwich it with the fillings.
(6) Melt some cooking chocolate, scoop a spoonful on top of eclair and then sprinkle sprinklers on top. You can sprinkle anything of your preference, e.g. almond nibs or chocolate rice.
*this recipe is adapted from the book "Fantastic cheesecake" by Alex Goh