This recipe is adapted from the book: Y3K - Layered Cakes
Ingredients for coloured layer:
90 gm. Butter
50 gm. sugar
3 small eggs
2 Tbsp. condensed Milk
60 gm. cake flour or plain flour
a few drops of colouring: red, orange and green
Ingredients for exterior cake:
200 gm. butter
40 gm. sugar
5 medium size eggs
200 gm. condensed milk
50 gm. apple or apricot jam
85 gm. cake flour or plain flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder (sieved)
75 gm. Horlicks
100 gm. Prunes (diced)
(1) For coloured layer:
Beat butter and sugar till creamy. Add in condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
(2) Add in eggs one at a time, mix well after each addition.
(3) Fold in cake flour and then mix evenly.
(4) Divide mixture into 3 equal portions and colour each portion with a colour of green, orange and red.
(5) Lined a 7" square tray. Pour in a portion of the coloured mixture and steam till cooked. Make sure that it is cooked because uncooked layer will not get cooked if you pour in the next layer. Repeat till the 3 colours are well steamed. Leave it to cool and cut into small squares of your preference. Divide into 4 portions.
For exterior cake:
(1) Beat butter and sugar till creamy and fluffy.
(2) Add in condensed milk and jam and mix thoroughly.
(3) Add in egg one at a time and mix well before the next addition.
(4) Fold in flour, baking powder and horlicks and mix till batter is smooth.
(5) Divide batter into 4 portions.
(6) Pour 1 portion into a 7" or 8" square tray, sprinkle diced prunes and steam till cooked , approximately each later is about 8 to 10 mins.
(7) Take out tray from steamer, lay one portion of the coloured cake cubes on top and pour 1 portion of the exterior cake batter on top. Steam till cooked again. Repeat process till finished.
(8) Cool cake on wire rack , slice and serve.