Saturday, October 07, 2006
Healthy Wholemeal Pau
Ingredients or pau dough:
250 gm. wholemeal flour
250 gm. Hong Kong flour
4 Tbsp. shortening
100 gm. castor sugar
1 Tbsp. double-action baking powder
12 gm. Instant Yeast
200 ml. warm water
Ingredients for fillings:
300 gm. Turnip - shredded
50 gm. dried mushrooms - shredded
65 gm. carrot - shredded
1 piece Beancurd (Tau Kwa) - cut into cubes
3 Tbsp. abalone sauce or oyster sauce
3 nos. garlic - chopped
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
130 gm. water
1 tbsp. cornflour
some cooking oil for frying
Method for making pau:
(1) Mix instant yeast and warm water and let it stand for 5 mins.
(2) Beat all the ingredients together for about 15 mins until it form into a dough.
(3) Cover and let it rest for about 30 mins.
(4) Pinch and weigh dough into 40 gm. balls. Flatten the dough, put in the fillings and place onto a pau paper.
(5) Rest for 45 mins. then steam over high heat for 10 mins.
Method for frying fillings:
(1) Heat up the wok with some oil.
(2) Fry garlic until fragrant, add in beancurd and mushroom and fry followed by the rest of the ingredients.
(3) Can add in a bit of salt to your taste.
(4) Dish up and let it cool before wrapping.
Note: you can also use this wholemeal pau recipe to make hot dog roll and steam over high heat for 10 mins.