Sunday, October 08, 2006
Assam Prawns Cheese Pie
Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry:
250 gm. Plain flour
160 gm. chilled buter
40 gm. sugar
1 small egg yolk or 1/2 large egg yolk
a pinch of salt
50 gm. iced water
Ingredients for assam prawns fillings:
2 Tbsp. Oil
60 gm. Onions - diced
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 Tbsp. Water
2 Tbsp. assam paste (can cut down to 1 1/2 Tbsp. if you don't like the sour taste)
100 gm. water
150 gm. prawns - shelled and cut into pieces
salt and sugar to taste
125 gm. cream cheese
1/2 Tbsp. gelatine powder
1 Tbsp. water
50 gm. yoghurt
50 gm. Mayonnaise
For shortcrust pastry:
(1) Sift flour, sugar and salt into the mixing bowl.
(2) Add in chilled butter and rub the fat in with your fingertips until the mixture is crumb-like.
(3) Add in egg yolk and cold water and and mix till it becomes a dough. Press the dough into a ball and keep in the refrigerator for about 30 mins before using.
(4) Press some dough into a tart mould and prick the base with a fork.
(5) Line the pastry shell with greaseproof paper and fill in baking stones and bake at 180C for about 15 mins. till cooked and golden brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool before filling in the fillings.
For Assam prawns fillings:
(1) Place oil into the wok and fry the onion till soft then add in the garlic and fry till fragrant.
(2) Mix curry powder with water and stir into the frying onion and garlic and stir till well mixed. Fry for awhile then add in cut prawns and assam water.
(3) Add salt and sugar to taste. Leave it to cool.
(4) Cream cream cheese till light and creamy.
(5) Double-boil or microwave gelatine and water mixture till gelatine dissolves.
(6) Add the melted gelatine into the creamed cream cheese mixture. Mix thoroughly.
(7) Mix in yoghurt and mayonnaise.
(8) Add in cooled assam prawns and mix thoroughly.
(9) Fill the baked pastry shell with the fillings and refrigerate till fillings set.
(10) Grate some cheddar cheese on top and decorate with a piece of shrimp.
(11) Serve chilled.
This recipe is adapted from Alex Goh's book - Fantastic Cheesecake.
I have cut down the cream cheese, yoghurt and mayonnaise by half and for those who prefer more cream cheese, can double the cream cheese as follows:
250 gm. cream cheese, 80 gm. yoghurt and 80 gm. Mayonnaise.