Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Opera Swiss Roll
Almond Sponge cake:
30 gm. Plain flour
90 gm. icing sugar
100 gm. Ground Almond
3 nos. medium size eggs
30 gm. melted butter
120 gm. egg white )
40 gm. castor sugar ) beat till thick
100 gm. cooking chocolate (chopped)
80 gm. Dairy whip cream
20 gm. butter
Coffee Butter Cream:
80 sugar + 25 gm. water
60 gm. egg white
220 gm. chilled Butter
40 gm. shortening (Crisco)
1 - 2 tsp. Coffee Paste ( 1-2 tsp is up to your preference)
1 - 2 tsp. Kahlua or Tia Maria
Coffee syrup for brushing sponge:
60 gm. hot water + 20 gm. sugar - stir to dissolve sugar
1 Tbsp. Kahlua (coffee liquer)
(1) To make sponge: Beat the 3 eggs lightly into a mixing bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix till smooth.
(2) Beat egg white with sugar until fluffy and then fold into the egg yolk mixture.
(3) Pour into a swiss roll measuring 10" x 14" and bake at 190C for about 15 mins. or till cooked.
(4) Remove from oven and leave it to cool.
To make ganache: Mix all the ingredients and microwave or double boil it.
To make buttercream:
(1) Boil the sugar with water until mixture thickens and while boiling, beat the egg white till frothy and pour in the sugar syrup and beat till mixture cools down.
(2) Add in the chilled butter and shortening and beat till fluffy.
(3) Add in coffee paste and kahlua.
note: You might not use the whole recipe (butter cream) for this swiss roll. Keep the balance in the fridge and you can use it to decorate other cakes. If I make the recipe lesser, it's very hard to beat up the egg white. You can also double up the recipe and keep this butter cream for creaming all your cakes. According to tt, it's called "French Cream", if I'm not mistaken.
(1) Brush the cooled swiss roll with the coffee sugar syrup.
(2) Spread some coffee butter cream on top and level it.
(3) Spread some ganache on top and roll it up into a swiss roll. Refrigerate till set.
(4) Pour balance ganache on top and let it set.
(5) Slice into serving pieces and pipe the "opera" on top.