Sunday, July 16, 2006
Apple and Strawberry Pie
Ingredients for Pastry:
300 gm. Plain flour
150 gm. icing sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
180 gm. Butter- chilled
1 1/2 egg
1 tsp. vanilla essence
600 gm. Green apples - peeled, cored and sliced
55 gm. castor sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
500 gm. strawberries - cut into cubes
1 Tbsp. corn flour - add some water to dilute it.
Method for cooking apples:
(1) Cook apples and sugar over low heat for about 15 mins. or until apples turns soft.
(2) Add in strawberries and cinnamon powder, stir for awhile.
(3) Add in cornflour mixture to thicken mixture. Leave it to cool.
(1) Combine the flour, icing sugar, baking powder and chilled butter into a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
(2) Add in beaten egg and vanilla essence. Process till mixture becomes a dough. Chill the dough in the fridge for 15 mins.
(3) Divide the dough into 2 portions.
(4) Take one portion , roll out on a lightly floured table and place it into a 24 cm loose-bottom tart pan.
(5) Scoop the strawberry and apple fillings into prepared pastry.
(6) Roll the remaining pastry and place on top of the filling.
(7) Brush with egg glaze and decorate top with remaining pastry (decorate as desired).
(8) Bake at 180C for 35 mins. or till pastry turns golden in colour.
(9) Remove from oven and let it cool and chilled before slicing.